A Lazy Sail (or motor)

As retirees, we seem to be too busy to do much, however, in between everything else, we decided to go for a lazy sail, planning to anchor in Whitsand Bay under Rame Head. The forecast was a drifting wind from the East with sea breezes on top.

The Boss cooked one of her signature dishes – Quiche for our supper the day before and with mininal stuff, we got to the boat on Sat morning at half neap flood tide knowing we would have to motor against the current to get to the Sound. The Skipper raised the main on the mooring – sea breezes had come early, or rather we were late! We motor-sailed down the Tamar with the main helping most of the time. We unfurled the genoa and turned the motor off just by Drakes’s Island and sailed off towards the Eastern Entrance for a lazy sail to end up in Whitsand Bay.

By the time we were heading West towards our anchorage, the wind had veered from South and we were sailing on a fine reach making a good speed, to the South West where we were close-hauled, hard on the wind and not able to get around Penlee Point and Rame Head without several tacks. Technical Stuff Alert! The corolis effect causes sea breezes to veer (and plenty of other things as well!).  Consequently, our mainly southerly wind became SW. P.S. Corolis is the effect created by the earth spinning. Now, you really wanted to know that!

The upshot was we were not going to anchor in Whitsand which is open to the SW but in Cawsand Bay on the other side of the peninsular. We planned to meet G & B, but they were delayed helping out some other friends P & M who had engine problems and later problems with their genoa furling gear. We joined the 50 or so other boats in Cawsand for a late lunch, then tea and then a rowdy drinks do on our boat with G & B and P & M. There is a photo! But not here!

The evening ended with this:

The Sunset over Kingsand and Cawsand

As this was planned as a lazy weekend sail, we got up late, read the Saturday newspaper, had coffee, read some more. The Skipper rowed across to P & M’s boat becasue they were trying to sort out the furling gear; what they couldn’t see from the deck, I could see from our boat through binoculars was that the genoa halyard was twisting around the forestay as there was no guide to offset the feed of the halyard. That was the only exercise for the day!

After a lazy lunch, we set off after the other two boats had left; we tried the genoa but we were making more speed with the tide than with the wind! So we motored back to our mooring. We had a great time, unusually for us, doing very little in lovely weather with great friends. We hope to be away for a few more days later this week…..


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *