Following our trip to Falmouth and back, we have managed a couple of short trips before the boat comes out in October. Between this post and lift-out, we only have a few days clear! The weather has already started to deteriorate!
Last year, we agreed to give a day sailing trip as a silent auction lot for some good friends M & J who were raising money for the Nepalese Earthquake Disaster in 2015. It was a bit late but as P said at the time, “It was worth the wait!.”
We picked them up from the Club and set off down the river, with A on the tiller, who rarely let it go for the rest of the day! The sun shone, the wind blew enough for the Skipper to put a reef in the sail for an hour or so. We expected to have a rest while we anchored for lunch, not a bit of it, A & P wanted to keep going, so we did. A first for us, we rounded the fort by the breakwater, but the Boss missed the fun which consisted of “Is there enough room?” and “What about the depth?” We ended up sailing 28 miles in 7 hours, including down and up the river (sightseeing the Navy), and sailing to about 6 miles South of the Breakwater. They are still telling their friends about it, particularily at the golf club where it all started!
A week or so later, we had a couple of weeks for sailing during which we hoped to get East to Dartmouth and Teignmouth. We had a trouble-free trip down the river and an interesting sail to the River Yealm.
Next to Salcombe:
We set off the next morning towards Dartmouth to spend a couple of days there before the weather deteriorated fora day or so. We were sailing close-hauled, with the engine on a fast tick-over, making reasonable progress against the tide. About to turn towards Dartmouth by Start Point, when the Skipper went below and heard the water pump running continously and clearly pumping nothing. He found unexplained fresh-water forward in the shower tray. WE HAD A LEAK! The water tank was empty and about 75litres of freshwater was inside the boat. After hunting around, we discovered the leak was a hose that had become disconnected, but it was behind the hot water tank – now very hot! Rightly or wrongly, we decided to turn back for home to fix it. Now we were down-wind and made quick progress home.
The following day, the Skipper fixed the leak behind the calorifier, which meant removing the enclosure, all the insulation and removing the tube completely so that it could re-fix it to the Y connector clear of the calorifier and re-fixing the other end near the galley easily.
By the time we left again, the wind and tide made returning to Dartmouth very silly, so we went to Fowey. There was no wind, so we motored the whole way there. We claimed our free night (buy 6, get the 7th free loyality card). We’ve recently done all the reasonable walks around Fowey, so we went to Polkerris overland and returned via the SW coastpath with lunch by the Gribben Head day mark
Our sail back should be on a broad-reach in SW winds around Force 4, however, we got SE winds around F3, close-hauled and slower. Bouncy bouncy as the Boss put in the log; we had plenty of time as we had to wait for the tide to get back up to Cargreen. Once a squall had gone through after the Skipper had put a reef in, we got the forecast wind and our speed really picked up.
We ended going up the river just after low water (0.9m), but managed it with about 0.4m under the keel at the shallowest point. The next morning at high tide, the Skipper made 4 trips with stuff to unload the boat as this is almost certainly our last outing this season.
The next entries will be all about fitting a heater to the boat, inproving the insulation for the fridge, finishing the Starboard lockers with a couple of drawers, making some lockers on the port side of the saloon, tidying up some electrical stuff, installing some additional battery charging with either solar panels and/or wind generator and, last but not least, sort out the galley storage.