Gentle Sailing 10-12 May

Loadsa things conspired together to prevent us sailing until this week. Anyway the sun was shining, the sky was blue (mostly) and the wind was not quite in the right direction. We hoped to get to Fowey, but not in a SW 4 to 5 in comfort against the tide.

The Skipper had taken one large load to Cuchulainn, including a hired liferaft, clothes, food, beer, and other essentials the day before.

On Mon 10 May, the Boss and the Skipper took another load down to the boat, got her ready for sailing and waited until the flood tide had mostly died down and departed around 12:00. The 5 mile trip down river gave us time to eat an early lunch, before we got to Plymouth Sound. The Skipper raised the main, only to find that one of the reef line was in the wrong place! We set off sailing with a reefed main and 5 rolls in the genoa, managing to average 5.5knots under reefed sail. However, the genoa did not set well because it rolled tight at the head and foot and left the middle very baggy. Westaway will be putting a foam insert into the luff (leading edge) of the genoa over the next week or two.

Genoa in need of foam luff insert

Genoa in need of foam luff insert

Cuchulainn behaved very well for our first sail. There was a moderate swell from previous storms coming from the SW. The wind was SW 4/5, so going to Fowey would be an uncomfortable sail for 5 hours into the tide, Salcombe was also 5 hours away, so we went into the River Yealm instead. The Boss brought the boat up to the visitor’s swinging mooring very easily, first time and celebrated our 1st time out this season with a cup of tea!




From the R. Yealm, there is a great walk along the coast path called the Duke’s Drive. A victorian who wanted to show off his wealth! We walked from about 2 hours, then turned back a bit joined another path back to Noss Mayo on the R. Yealm. Great weather!

Gorge on the Duke's Drive

Gorge on the Duke’s Drive

On Wed 13 May, the forecast weather was expected to deteriorate by the evening, so we made a short sail back much longer with full sails and sailed most of the way to Rame Head and then up the R. Tamar. The wind died as we approached the Tamar bridges, so we motored the last mile or so. Packed up and came back home with more stuff that we took out. There was a genoa which the Skipper will take to the sail-makers on Fri.

We’ve discovered a few glitches! The water pressure in the heads sink is too low to be useable; there is a leak from the water system near the calorifier; another leak under the galley sink; the Raytheon wind instrument is faulty; the Skipper needs to replace the galley splash-back by the sink soon; same with the fiddle in the chart table locker. Which boat has no glitches?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *