By Heck, it was cold this morning! Made worse, ‘cos I was finishing off the fixings for the stainless steel fuel tank. I collected the tank last week, did a rough fit and “modified” the three steel tags for location by extending the bolt holes by 3 mm and modifying the batten and the shelf that it held up. Today, I bolted the batten in, knocked in the shelf, replaced the temporary bolts with tapered spacers and now it’s solidly fixed. Jobs left here are: glassing in the shelf (warmer temperatures needed), connecting the engine feed and return, sealing off the outlet for the heater. I’ve connected the breather and filler tubes. Great, nearly done!
To warm up, I inserted the supporting blocks of wood into the soundproofing for the cooling water strainer, stop lever and external fuel filter. They are now all fitted but I forgot the engine bay fire extinguisher! Job for when it’s warmer.
I’ve managed to lose a couple of hinges for the heads and forecabin doors – they’re purpose-built and goodness knows where they are. A serious hunt will take place in due course.
The only significant job left is finishing the water tank: sterilise the inside, seal and fit the lid (60-something screws) and the two inspection hatches (another 30 screws). Otherwise t’s cleaning and tidying and putting the two doors back as well as all the string, sails etc etc.
Pictures next time, I hope.