Monthly Archives: December 2017

Continuing Winter Work

Saul, from Weir Quay Boatyard looked at the skeg and rudder and measured the water content as very high; not unexpected! However, he has ground back the offending bulge and it is now being left open to allow any fluid to drain. It will be repaired in the spring before launch.

The fridge has progressed from a mucky hole to a clean and pretty fair cold box with 5 coats of epoxy undercoat and, as I write, 1 coat of topcoat, to be followed by 2 more. Tim, if you read this, do you want to try your hand at the installation of the fridge units?

The autopilot is fully installed and, good news, Raymarine have said that they will replace the lid of the EV-1 sensor. At some stage, I will start everything up, update the software in the various units and maybe do the dockside initialisation of the autopilot.

The Sadler wiring is a true rats nest! During manufacture, the wiring is preinstalled and stuck to the outer shell of the coachroof, it is now hidden inside the sandwich. Unfortunately, Sadler used only 1 sq mm twin core domestic wiring, which is fine for some lighting but useless for power. In various places, I have found cable ends and have had “fun” finding where the other end is! I’ve managed to connect the NMEA wires for the AIS and GPS data from the VHF radio to the Chartplotter using a multi-core cable. The cockpit instument panel loadspeaker cables are connected from the CD-radio at the Chart table using another multi-core cable. Power for the Chartplotter comes from the Chart table to the Chartplotter via two domestic cables to ensure that there is sufficient conductivity. This has removed several cables from crossing the aft cabin deckhead; it will look much neater when I put the remaining cables into a white plastic duct. They are for the Speed log, Depth gauge and Wind vector. I am still trying to find a cable to get a power feed from the switch panel to the chart table for the 12 volt socket.

I have installed an improved extractor fan and improved lighting into the heads. There is a switch for each, somehow I need to make it obvious which does which! The installation involved threading cables from one small hole to another and hoping they were long enough!

There has been lots of Northerly winds, consequently most of the boats at Weir Quay have a covering of leaves from the very high hedge belonging to next door. I think that we’ll do some gardening next time we go to the boat.