Thu 13 Jul
The weather on this trip has been very unstable; wet ‘n windy one day and fine the next. Along with may others in Falmouth, we all though the weather was %$*&! They included CYC Member on Echo, Ninja, who had all our sympathy with a failed alternator, a Colvic Sailor who thought Cuchulainn was Gaelic for “Darling” and despite being told the full story, continued to call us “Darling” whenever he met us, and a number of other Sadlers’ of varying lengths.
Thursday brought out the sun and a fair wind from the NW. Along with many others, we set off towards the Helford River. We were having such a cracking sail that we stayed out for about 4 hours before turning back to Helford after so many other boats had gone in and we thought that there would be no room. We were lucky; one boat left just as we came into the moorings and we picked it up straight away before anyone else got it! Later Echo arrived, but there was no room, so he returned to Falmouth. However, M & M, one of whom came from our village and Weir Quay Sailing Club, moored behind us. The brisk wind caused some chaos near low water because the tide and wind were in opposition, some boats set to the tide and others to the wind (we mostly did the latter) or both; at one stage we were within 3 metres of another boat, but it cleared as the ebb increased.
Fri 14 Jul
After some shopping, we left our dinghy at the Helford River Sailing Club for a walk around the St Anthony peninsular; the last time we did this was about 5 years ago.
We were advised that there would be enough water on their pontoons, there wasn’t! Luckily, the ferry took us back to our boat, for half the price of going to Helford Passage. Later he took us back to the Sailing Club so we could have a shower in the new facilities (only 1/3 male showers working!) and a superb meal. As the tide was now in, we could use our dinghy to get back to Cuchulainn.
We had been watching the longer-term forecast and had decided that we would sit out a week or so of rough weather at home, rather than trying to hide up the River Fal with little or nothing to do, or spend lots of money in a marina.
Sat 15 Jul
We had hoped for a fine sail to Fowey, however, the wind was now West but not nearly as useful as it should have been. The sea was decidedly wobbly so what wind there was just got flopped out of the sails and we lost drive. A whisker-pole would have helped us to control the genoa. Our best speed was “gybing down wind”, which M & M ahead of us were doing. Eventually, we got to Fowey and decided that up-river in Wiseman’s Pool would be best, away from any swell coming in on the wind. It was lovely and quiet, no wind, and just one other visitor – a blue wooden motorboat.
Sun 16 Jul
We had a lazy start, which was disturbed by tenders coming past, one got so close that the Skipper got up to look out of the hatch, to be greeted with “we are only looking at your lovely 34!” We were waiting so that on arrival in Plymouth, the tide would be favourable to Cargreen. Waiting is not good for us, so we left early, again in hope for a pleasant sail downwind. For the result – see Sat 15 Jul! We motored a few times, with the genoa out and sometime in. But motoring does our fridge good as we can turn on the only just working fridge to keep our food cool-ish.
D & A were anchored in Cawsand in Eilean and we chatted from nearby, rafting on a much smaller and lighter boat with a rope anchor line was not a good idea for them. Motoring up the river, against some tide, with the Skipper keeping too close to the shore for the Boss’ comfort until the depth gauge stopped working (again; it is going to find out just how deep the water is if it doesn’t behave!)
Mon 17 Jul
Last night and this morning, we packed our stuff up into boxes and bags and the Skipper did 3 journeys with it all back to the car at CYC and then home via Louis Farm Shop on Kit Hill to buy superb pasties for lunch, if a little too large for the Boss so the Skipper eat her half for lunch the next day.
We plan to be off sailing during the following week but are visiting Exmoor (Skipper’s old stamping ground) for the rest of this week.