We had a week or so off on holiday from the boat renovation, during that time we visited or met with (between us) 6 members of our families and some of their families and celebrated the Skipper’s sister 80th birthday. To cap it all, we took so long driving South from the Lake District to Devon that we gave up half-way and spent the night with friends and missed a Sailing Club event!
It’s now much easier to say what’s left to be removed from the deck before we start sanding and filling. The list is now 3 out of 4 chainplates (this will take hours! see below to see why);
One aft cleat where the last one bolt is turning;
The aft cabin window in the cockpit; two ‘U’ bolts also in the cockpit;
and the ply in the cockpit where the synthetic teak will be laid. This will also take hours to remove!
The chainplates are buried inside mouldings by the main bulkhead or for the lower shroud, behind a moulding that cannot be fully undone! It was clearly installed before the locker on the stbd side. Worse still is that some of the bolts didn’t have a nut holding them against the deck; they were set into resin. Perhaps this standard of boat building in the 80s is why they went bust. With all the rubbish in the way under the deck, I’m not sure if I can improve on it.
The ply which originally was supposed to look like a teak deck, but probably never did, is removed with a bent 1in wide chisel and it’s so well stuck down with about 2mm of black rubbery glue so it’s removed in 1in wide bits! When it’s all off, we can make a set of templates and over the winter we’ll make up panels of synthetic teak and glue them down (with the correct glue!) after the painting is done. I do the chiselling when I get bored with the other jobs!
Roy, from the boatyard, came round to see what needs doing to replace the toerail across the transom and after we get a price, we might set him going with the renewal.