Winter work started in earnest on Sun! The Skipper went down to finish clearing stuff out, sleeping bag, pillows, &c. I thought that I would make a start on clearing the cockpit locker of the 200litre fuel tank.
I had bought two 25litre cans and pumped out the diesel from the existing tank, however, only one was needed, oops not much fuel then! Removed the webbing that secured the tank, removed the fuel connections, rotated the tank thro’ 90deg and removed it much too easily! It’s now stored on deck. Anyone know someone who needs a perfectly serviceable 200l fuel tank? One’s going cheap-ish!
That left the supports: a very small amount of cutting removed what glass fibre that was securing the platform meant that I could very easily lift and remove it. I pulled most of the fibre glass of the side of the locker wall ‘cos no attempt had been done to grind it back to get a good adhesion (EXCELLENT! = nice and clean locker!) The supports took only a couple of kicks with my heel to remove them and virtually all the fibreglass. I have no idea how 200 litres of fuel (= 180Kgs) would have survived in a very rough sea. What I thought would be a 2 day job was done in half a day. Lovely, but I will pay for it later!
The Boss came to the boat on Sun to help with re-seating the boarding ladder on the transom, definitely a two person job, me inside and her outside. The Boss went shopping and stuff, while I got one with cleaning the debris out of the cockpit locker and starting with the design of the platform for the new tank. More later….
Another long job was the removal of the lid for the water tank, under the Starboard saloon berth. It leaked from around the join. The forum had stories of using long levers and even a car jack to remove it. I undid the 50 screws holding it (I did forget one!). Got a screwdriver under the lid, followed by a wooden wedge and hey presto, off it came. Although I had to cut the tubes ‘cos I couldn’t remove them. We now have a smelly, slimy water tank to clean, sterilise and put back together with the correct sealant, instead of the rubbish that was there. At the same time, I’m replacing the glassed in copper tubes with proper bulkhead connectors and adding a contents gauge. The Boss has promised to do the cleaning! There is osmosis inside the tank in the fibreglass; I’m going to ignore it but ask the Sadlers Owners forum for their thoughts.
I enjoy being at the Yacht Haven Quay, I went to see the office to ask what can be done about the boat being chocked bow up. I said that I knew it was bow up but didn’t really mind but the gas locker was filling up with water, could you do something about it. Quick as a flash, Will said, “well drill a hole in it!” No Will! Anyway they’re going to re-chock sometime during the week.