Yesterday, the forecast changed at least twice, saying, yes, we would have lots of rain before 12:00 and yes, we would have lots of rain after 12:00! Well, today, it started to rain around 10:15, just as I was most of the way through sanding the deck prior to re-painting with non-slip paint. I was expecting rain, but, not so soon. I can finish that later, maybe on Saturday when it’s supposed to be dry. I discovered that two of the windows still leak and that the forward hatch still lets in rainwater. Another dry day job. The hatch is not going to be easy to find and cure the leak. As one of the contractors said, “Get a free deck wash – just put some detergent onto the deck!”
I did manage to get some things done inside, including securing all the cables for the chart-plotter that were hanging about behind the companionway, greasing the Volvo stern seal (thanks Marc from Marine Wise) and sorting out the loudspeakers and fitting new ones. (Just need to buy them now!)
After the rain stopped, I discovered lots of water in the bilge, so I pumped it out, only to discover that the joints in the pipes leaked and the bilge pump itself was broken! So I took most of it out and when I went home via Mt Batten Boathouse I ordered a replacement clamp that had broken and bought some new hose and fittings. In the eighties, boat-builders seemed to use domestic 2in copper elbows instead of plastic elbows just to save pennies. It was from these joints that the tube was leaking and one of the elbows had almost corroded away. Boat-builders were after a quick profit rather than a product that was fit for purpose. (Quick rant over)
When the rain started again, I fitted a new impeller (for the raw-water) cooling circuit, and a new alternator belt. As I had the hosepipe with me, I ran up the engine until hot, everything seemed OK. Initially, it would have helped if I had the valve de-compression in the right place! The circulation water didn’t seem to reach the calorifier to heat the hot water so I wonder if there is an air-lock which will mean bleeding the pipes from the engine. That’s a job afloat later. But I did refill the bilge with water, but by that time the bilge pump was out! So it’s going to stay there!
The port handrail is now fixed. A wood specialist shipwright said that the rail is usually destroyed repairing it. What tosh! He clearly doesn’t do his job properly. Note to self: Don’t use him!
I’ve fitted all the new fire extinguishers except one – I found that the gas pressure is already down (in the lower red sector and it’s brand new. That’s going back for a replacement!