It was a good warm day to try another paint stripper on the deck to see if we can get rid of the slippery white paint. After 20 mins, it had bubbled the paint but weakened the gelcoat and confirmed that when the deck was painted the excellent non-slip gel coat surface had been ground off. Bother, is the technical term required.
Have found a good paint supplier near Newton Abbot – Dove-Meadows and Chris there supplied a suitable paint with plastic granules which can be sanded off when we come to do the job properly next year or so. The next job is to pressure wash the deck, and on a dry day, sand the deck down for a key for the paint, clean up and paint one layer plain and the top coat with the plastic granules for the non slip.
The stem head fitting is coming on well with Daco Engineering and should be ready at the end of next week but I’m not doing very well with the remaining bolt that I had to cut. I’ve made a bit of a mess with drilling it out. I’ll have another go later.
The water pump appears to run continuously so I thought a new pressure switch would be required. I took the beast out, 4 bolts and two hose connections and removed the pressure switch. I cleaned it off and it appeared to work – press it in and the switch clicks. When I put it back together it did work. One less expense!
The fridge definitely doesn’t work. We’ll live with it until the end of the season and tackle it when we are laid up in Plymouth. See if any of it works, otherwise get a new one along with connecting up the heater.
My second day this week on the boat was cold and wet. Indoor jobs – so I have now finished wiring the autopilot, all the mast lights except the anchor light which will be finished next week, VHF radio, CD radio player and gas alarm. Things are actually coming together at last. I’ve ordered a new cantilever bracket for the chart-plotter and will connect it up when the Boss & I have decided where it will go best.
Colin from C & O Engineering came to look at the propeller and took it away. The shaft is 25mm diameter but the propeller is 1:12 taper for a one inch shaft. He will check that it is the right size and pitch. However, back home, he has texted me saying the propeller is too small and should be 17in x 11in or 16in x 12in. Oh Well, another problem, more cost that is unexpected. The Boss & I will now consider getting a folding or feathering prop for £1000 + and sail better with no drag from a fixed prop costing around £350. Donations readily accepted!
At home, I’ve spliced new lines onto the fenders; varnished the new ensign pole; shaped and fitted together the (almost) last bit for the chart-table locker.