What a difference a day makes.
Spent Friday, in the rain, working with the tarpaulin over the cockpit and bumping my head on its support. I was getting the heads seacocks ready for fitting in the dry; finding more leaks, this time from around the chainplate fittings; playing with the electrics (more on that later!).
The surveyor who inspected the boat in drizzle should have found the leaks from around the chainplate fittings but didn’t, partly because he didn’t look in at least one of the lockers. I tightened them up on Sat and fed the bolt heads and under the plate with creeping crack cure. Later, I’ll put sealant around them. There was also rainwater coming in from around the water tank filler on the port side forward. That got the same treatment.
The holes for the seacocks were all cleaned out of old sealant on the wet day ready for the dry day. Being a true amateur, I used far, FAR too much sealant when I re-fitted the seacocks and the plates against the hull. It was a real mess; so I took the inlet grid off to remove the excess! WD40 is a very good cleaner of Sikaflex before it dries. The next job is to fit the hoses and put in the new loo. Will be a proper job when finished. Don’t say if.
There was a bundle of about five twin core cables at the electrics panel that are not connected, another bundle of seven twin core and two multi-core cables at the chart table. I found 2 that were connected; one will be for the VHF radio and the other for the radio-CD player. I also confirmed that the switch marked “Inst Power” went to the right place! The “Inst Lights” lit up the Port compass but the Stbd compass had no connection. I now have to work out which cable is which under the mast foot in the heads and find a way of getting the cables from the mast foot inside to the connection panel. Please wish me luck!
We’ve started the process of getting a spray hood and cockpit enclosure ordered. The smaller dinghy is being renovated. All the old polyurethane varnish has been removed and the wood has been cleaned and primed, ready for some proper paint. The saloon floorboard, nearest the engine, was contaminated with engine oil and would not accept any varnish. So I’m stripping all off again and washing it with white spirit and hoping that the varnish will stick AND dry.