Totnes was fine when I arrived on Wed, however, it didn’t last! It was a more positive say overall.
The chart table locker is, at last, being rebuilt! I fixed in the central upright using dowel pins and glue to locate/secure the bottom to the remains of the original upright. The left face upright is also cut to shape and is screwed to battens. It will stay like that so there will be access to the water filler behind.
Louis has finished installing the new engine intake. But not before he had to grind back and glass because the previous owners had put 3 holes through the hull. I’ve no idea why! My next task is to re-connect the cooling hose via a strainer to a new engine fitting ‘cos the old one clearly leaked!
Looks good – thanks Louis.
On my last visit, I removed the old calorifier thinking that I might be able to reuse it. The fresh water tubing is dirty and sticky – that’s on the inside! So we are replacing it all. But, the feed from the pressure pump and unpressurised for the hand pump by the sink both go through a foam-filled rib under the saloon floor. Luckily, they’re inside a plastic tube with at least two 90 deg elbows. I tried pulling one then both out, then attached them both to the spinnaker winches. Both times they moved a few inches; I knew that I wasn’t stretching them ‘cos the tubes moved the same amount at the other end. A very liberal dose of fairly concentrated detergent left to soak during lunch freed them after about an hour. GREAT! All I need to do now is persuade the new hose to go through the tube, helped by the messengers I left.
After the seacocks had been soaking in WD-40. I applied lots of heat, trying to break the seal of the seized cones. The inlet came out but looked almost pure copper – no zinc! The outlet broke and was also almost completely de-zinced so I failed, and have to buy two new Blakes seacocks! My thought is that Sadler were saving money by using stainless steel bolts to secure the seacocks instead of bronze.
Got lots of jobs at home, including the varnishing of the washboards – doesn’t get done very often as it’s so humid at the moment; painting the windlass with 2-part paint; re-wiring the switch panels; cutting to fit more locker panels.