Category Archives: Winter 2016/7

Link

We haven’ tgiven up sailing, just been busy with other things.

I’ve probably said this before, but in Autumn 2015, I asked the Boss which she wanted doing first: the kitchen or the boat; without hesitation, she said “The Boat!” This winter is’ve “done” the shower room and the kitchen, so very little was planned or even done to the boat. The days are getting longer and (not very much warmer), we’ve started doing the boat again.

So far, the port lockers, where a bunk was (but removed by a previous owner), have been installed and it is awaiting the final shelf and a couple of fiddles to keep all the books and other stuff in.Port_Locker

The chain coming from the windlass into anchor locker piles up on itself, so a wedge and a homemade fibreglass tube with a stainless steel end are waiting for installation when the weather gets warmer for resin to harden with an hour or so rather than days.

The aft locker is quite deep without any easy footholds to get in, so I’ve made a step which is geing painted and will be installed later this month.

The wheels on our dinghy fell off at the end of last season, they should have been fixed with bolts and not screws! Getting bolts soon.

Merve from Mount Batten Boathouse winterised the engine in the autumn, I’ll bring it back to life just before we launch, but as we’re not allowed to run the engine, they will have to tow me to the pontoon afterwards. Otherwise, it’s just a pressure-wash of the deck and hull, rub-down and antifoul the hull, re-rig the mast, bring everything that was taken off back onto the boat and then we’re sort of ready to go.

We’ve got some brand new sails waiting for collection at Westaway Sails in Ivybridge. They’ve made all our new sails over the past 20 years. We should sail much better, not necessarily faster but closer to the wind and more upright.

Our planned launch date is 10 Apr.

Only Small Stuff This Winter!

Nathan Bone, the on-site shipwright, completed the repair to the skeg very well. Now I’ve got to do all the rest of the stuff.

The battery was being drained very quickly by the fridge and we found that, for a double-skinned boat with closed-cell foam in all the voids, there was no insulation on one side of the fridge. In the galley locker, there was just 2 glassfibre panels, about 5 – 10mm apart and no insulation. We were looking to install solar panels and/or a wind generator. Instead, I’ve filled the voids with building foam, followed by¬† 50mm of Celotex (closed-cell foam used by the builers) with 12mm ply to support the shelf. The end is currently covered with aluminium tape.

Celotex before the ply was fitted.

Celotex before the ply was fitted.

Work was much easier without the door! I expect I’ll trim the foil tape sometime and refit the door!

While the engine was being serviced and winterised by Merve of Mt Batten Boathouse, he found the hoses to the calorifier were on their last legs and needed replacing. I have fixed the stop valves in both lines to the galley bulkhead:

Stop Valves fixed

Stop Valves fixed

Before they were loose in the locker and always got in the way.

Other stuff done so far:

Completing the drawers for the new locker on the starboard side, forward of the chart table. The glasses cabinet was completed last winter.

Installing locker dividors in what was the “extra” bunk on the port side. A previous owner cut the bunk down to a about 200mm high. we will have room for A4 book shelf, 2 shelves for paperbacks and 1 large and 1 small space for “stuff”!

Varnishing all the floor boards, debating whether to put non-slip finish on them; concensus is that we will.

Need to get stuff done early, ‘cos we got a shower room and a kitchen to refit this winter as well.